Decryption Expert Error: No Frames were decrypted

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:17 AM

I'm trying to decrypt a SSL trace captured using Netmon.

Netmon parser version is 3.4.2350.0 and NMDecrypt version is 2.3.3

---------------------------
Decryption Expert: Error
No Frames were decrypted, Netmon Filter Set may not match with current parser version.  Use parser version 3.4.2345.1 or greater.
OK  

ANy help would be appreciated

Feb 21, 2012 at 2:24 PM

If you run Network Monitor, can you see the TLS/SSL traffic in the trace you are trying to decrypt?  What parser profile do you have selected?  And how did you run the expert, did you select a TCP convesration in the conversation tree before launching the expert?

Thanks,

Paul

Feb 21, 2012 at 5:38 PM
Hi Paul,
Thanks for replying. Yes I can see the SSL handshake without any errors. I didn’t select a TCP conversation before launching, if I did that, it wouldn’t save any frames.
I selected all traffic and then selected the nmdecrypt expert.
The default parser profile for netmon is selected.
Regards,
Kaushal
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:54 PM
To: [email removed]
Subject: Re: Decryption Expert Error: No Frames were decrypted [nmdecrypt:333230]

If you run Network Monitor, can you see the TLS/SSL traffic in the trace you are trying to decrypt? What parser profile do you have selected? And how did you run the expert, did you select a TCP convesration in the conversation tree before launching the expert?

Thanks,

Paul

Feb 21, 2012 at 5:45 PM

There is a bug with the current version where if you don't select a conversation, it doesn't try to decrypt anything.  However, in most cases this won't work anyways due to how the expert works.  To start, select a single TCP conversation that has a full SSL conversation. 

I'm going to respond to your email posted from the blog instead, as I think we'll need to pass some files back and forth.  Expect a response in your inbox.

Paul